Saturday, January 20, 2007

Why is Reading such a Dirty Word to People?...

Reading I cannot believe more people don't read. I love to read and have a bazillion books to prove it. When I get overloaded with books, I take them to the local library and donate them and start over. Thank heaven's my dd gave my grandson the love of reading. It just starts your life out right. I am so surprized when I hear adults say they never read or they hate to read. Reading takes you places you could never go, gives you experiences you could never have, discoveries you will never make. It provides solace when you are sad or mad, joy when you've had a bad day. You can actually LEARN things by reading that you didn't know before, for heaven's sake. I pretty much read purely for pleasure, but as you can see from my author list, I read a lot and those are just a few authors that I read anything they write. There is so much crap on the tv, that I rarely watch it. The tv sometimes doesn't get turned on at all. I read or knit and sometimes do both when I put in an audio book. I love to travel with those things. It makes time pass and you get to enjoy a book while you are driving. I always try and take one. I remember once when we were going to Indiana to visit, (it is a 11 hour trip at least) we got stuck in Chicago because it was the middle of the night and they were removing an overhead bridge from atop the road we were on. We had to sit in traffic for about 90 minutes, but we had brought along the new Harry Potter book, whichever one was out at the moment and sat and listened to it while we waited. Made the wait a whole lot less irritating.

Look at the ribbon yarn I got yesterday. Isn't it kicky???? I think it will make a great summer top for vacation. I just had to knit some up to see how hard it was going to be to deal with and what it looked like. I am short about 7 skeins as I bought all they had because it was on sale, so I am going to watch for it to go on sale somewhere and try and get the rest of it. For now, I just had to see it knit up.


Man, it is getting late and I need to get out and walk this morning. I am not too much in the mood to do that so maybe I will fudge for today. I really need to because we had take out sandwiches last night, which is a big no no right now, but I plain didn't want to cook last night.
I got the sweetest email from my niece. She helped me pick out her mom's yarn for her mom's birthday present and I had sent her a pic of what the sweater looked like. She said she had given her sil all her son's baby clothes because they are having a boy. She said she kept his coming home from the hospital outfit and my baby blanket. She said she would never let anyone have it. She said it was so soft and fuzzy and her son loved it. I was so touched by the fact she wanted it kept safe and wouldn't let someone else use it.
Well my blogging friends, I need to get my day up and going. I hear the ole Washing Machineis finished with it's load so I guess I need to get it in the dryer and get out and walk even if I don't want to.
Relaxing By The Fire Enjoy a book this weekend! Donna (for some reason it isn't letting me make paragraphs so I apologize the bottom half is all shoved together. I tried 6 or 7 times to edit and make the paragraphs, but it kept shoving them back together so I give up this morning)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Bravo Fellow Reader! I absolutely agree! My mother and grandmother were both voracious readers and my son and I have carried on the tradition. Unfortunately my ex husband and my daughter always looked at reading as a chore and never learned to enjoy it. But my son and I have discovered the secret of being able to go anywhere and do anything in a book. I hope you are able to find a copy of The Outlander, I'm sure you will love it!
I really like your colorful ribbon yarn! Have a great day!

MarDi said...

I'm exactly the same, I love to read and a part of every single day is set aside for it. Whenever I'm up very late it's because I have a book that I just can't put down! (which happens far more often than is good for me!) lol

I never thought of knitting to an audio book, what a great idea!

The ribbon yarn is beautiful! I haven't tried knitting with it yet, but will definitely give it a go one day soon!

Have a great day, and enjoy your walk this morning!