Thursday, January 4, 2007

Juggling my projects...

As of this morning, I have three all going at once. I like to keep more than one project going so that if I get bored with one, I can go to another. It is a fine Juggling act to keep from getting confused sometimes, but I enjoy having more than one going.

I got my Gedifra Cotton and my Jewel Box yarns yesterday. The Jewel Box is not exactly what I expected, but I think it will knit up into the sweater just fine. I have started the sweater for my sister and I like how it is coming along. It is a really simple pattern, but one I know she will wear AND since she lives in



California
Custom Smiley
this will be a comfortable sweater for summer. It is a very lightweight sweater and is almost a cap sleeve type thing so will work well out there. I am probably going to get her a gift card to buy some pants to go with it so she can wear it to work. She has very dark brown hair and I think this color will look fabulous on her. I love this color. I may get more of this yarn to make another sweater with this stuff. The only thing I had trouble with is doing ribbing with it on smaller needles. I couldn't keep the rib stitches tight. I think it is because I have arthritis in my hands and keeping the yarn tight is hard in some situations. I found it hard with the black cotton yarn I used for my grandson's Beatle's sweater too.

You know, I sat here thinking that when I started knitting and was posting at my KH board, I kept trying to keep up with people that were doing harder projects than I? What is with that? Question MarkWhy should I feel I have to compete with not only more experienced knitters but those that want to do hard things right away and happen to be good at it? I think the worst thing I can do is pick stuff that I find too difficult for me in some way and it causes me not to finish a project because of it. There is no reason I have to set myself a time limit and learning to use dpn's or doing intarsia or whatever. I should just find stuff I want to make and make it!!!!
I am doing pretty well with the diet. I am going on day three and am getting my exercise in every morning and keeping my food under control. I did fudge in this regard. I HATE Madff salad dressings and would rather eat the extra calories of a full fat dressing. I just got a cookbook that mimic restaurant recipes and they had the tangy tomato salad dressing from Outback in it. I made a batch last night and it is pretty good. It had quite a bit of sugar in it, ie the ketchup and regular sugar, but not a huge amount of oil and it calls for olive oil, which is good. So I will just use less but enjoy it. I am going to get myself a little container I can take with me to restaurants so I have my own salad dressing. For some reason, restaurants in the south don't have french dressings. Why I like Bleu Cheese, but that is a diet killer right there and I really only like it as a dip and not on salads so much. Best thing to do is bring my own!!!
We get to take Thomas to Chuck E Cheese on Saturday and I am looking forward to that. We haven't seen him since Christmas Eve.
For all you ND Football fans, I send my condolences. I'm Sorry They got trounced by LSU in the Sugar Bowl last night, 41-14. ND is in my hometown and my son only lives 4 blocks from the university. I am sure everyone is walking around with their heads down today! That is 9 bowl games in a row ND has lost.
Things to do and knitting to accomplish so I say TTFN
Donna



2 comments:

MarDi said...

I love the color of the sweater too, it will be a beautiful sweater and much appreciated, I'm sure!

I hadn't thought of it until reading your post, but I'm guilty of feeling totally inadequate when I've seen the incredible work that others have done on the forum, and on their blogs. Instead of enjoying each step of a project, I've spent too much time wanting to learn everything all at once, instead of appreciating the learning process in itself. I think it's a good thing to slow down my expectations and not be so hard on myself. Besides, it's always best to master each step before moving on to a new level. :) Thank you for writing that!

Hope you're having a wonderful day!

Unknown said...

Donna~
I love the sweater color too! I hope someday to learn to make something that isn't square! My girlfriend the knitting fanatic has promised to teach me how to make something round when I visit in October.
Thanks for your comment. One of the biggest advantages (or disadvantages) of Florida is that everything is flat! We have no hills! I am originally from PA so I do miss seeing hills & mountains.
As for your diet...you are not alone. Salad & yogurt for lunch everyday get old really fast! and of course they like for you to drink LOTS of water, too. (My least favorite beverage)
Keep up the good work!