Friday, December 15, 2006

And to all a good night!

As you can see from my blog, I adore Las Vegas. We try and go once a year and always have a wonderful time. So of course, my favorite tv show is Las Vegas, which I just finished watching. If you saw tonight's episode, then you like I probably needed a box of tissues. I sobbed through most of it because it made me realize that I could be celebrating Christmas alone this year without my dear sweet wonderful husband of 34 years, Jack.

You see, Jack had a heart attack in 2003 and in June of this year started having tiny pinches that we thought were pinched nerves and turned out to be a blockage underneath the stent that had been put in his heart in 2003. Because they could not see it through the catherization camera, they decided the only way to help him was to do bypass surgery. On Sept 18th I said my goodbye to him in the ready room not knowing what would happen in the next 3-6 hours. God gave me my husband when I asked him for one and I guess he decided I could keep him a bit longer as the surgery went very very well. In today's age, bypass surgery has almost become old hat, being done on almost a regular basis, but I know that there are some of you out there who have experienced the true heart twisting horror of seeing someone you love on a ventilator. I sat in the waiting room for 4 hours and held up pretty well, but when they let me go back to the CCU to see Jack, he was still connected to a ventilator. It was the most gut wrenching thing I have ever experienced and that was the moment the tears fell in copious amounts.

So in this season of plenty, where more children and adults get much much more than they need or even want, just remember that the true meaning of Christmas was the birth of a child who was a gift to us if we are willing to accept it from a Father who loves us.

Remember that every moment of EVERY day is precious when spent with someone you love and make it your Christmas present to that person to love them the best you can!

Merry Christmas to you all!

No comments: